Monday, January 2, 2012

DIY: Anthropologie Inspired Initial Ornament

I know, I know.  Christmas is over.  But, perhaps you need a gift to send to someone or for a belated gift exchange?  Well, tardy seems to be the trend for me as a new mom, so I figured since these aren't exactly holiday-only themed, this post is still valid.  When my friend Meghan and I spotted them in Anthro, we knew we had to attempt them!  The cost ended up being about the same for one, but once you have the supplies, you can reproduce them for the cost of only the letter itself :)



What you will need:


  • A French book (I scored one at a book consignment shop for 5.00 but justified the cost because I can use it to make twenty of them if I so choose)
  • A letter shaped ornament (Target, 2.00)
  • Mod-Podge (already owned)
  • Ribbon (already owned)
  • Paintbrush to apply Mod-Podge (already owned)
  • Sheet of white cardstock (already owned)
What I did:
  • Trace the foam letter twice on white cardstock
  • Glue the white cardstock to each side of the letter to make the base of it white.  This is probably not necessary if you use a white or wood base letter.
  • Rip a few pages out of the book.  Rip off the side, top and bottom margins and discard.  
  • Tear the margin-less page into thin long strips to wrap the ornament with.
  • Generously apply the Mod-Podge to one side of the strips and begin wrapping the ornament.  Layer all the way around the ornament.
  • Adorn with a ribbon as a finishing touch.  You can either tie it in or poke holes in the ornament and thread through.


I think these would be fab over a wine bottle as a hostess gift, or even just hanging on a door knob in your home.  They were very easy - or should I say, tres facile?

No comments:

Post a Comment