Sunday, October 28, 2012

DIY: Mercury Glass Sconces

I purchased these sconces for a whopping $8 a piece about 8 months ago and have finally finished my simple DIY project!  I had previously come across similar items from Pottery Barn, Ballard Designs, and other retail stores which were all selling mirrored candle sconces starting at $50 a piece!  So imagine my excitement when I found these gems for a fraction of the price!



I started my project by purchasing the Krylon looking glass spray paint.  I already owned several other metallic colors I thought would be great to layer with the looking glass.  



I continued to layer all three finishes until I got the look I wanted.  The key is to keep moving your arm the entire time so nothing looks too spotty.


I also blotted the finish with a rag in between the last couple of coats to give it more of a mercury glass feel.  I was going to add some dry brushing to finish off the look, but in the end was happy with the look achieved solely through the spray paint.  I honestly think you could use this inexpensive and simple technique to 'mercury-glass' anything!


And here is the final product hanging above our bed in our master bedroom!


So tell me, what do you think?




No comments:

Post a Comment